If you are a new blogger, then one of the easiest mistakes you can make is in design. Though the content is what matters the most, an unattractive and clumsy design can repel people. So, here are some things you should keep in mind while designing your Blog,
- There should always be a header image placed at the top of the page so that people you land on your blog can immediately know its name and the niche or who owns it. People are not going to look at the URL to read the name of your blog. A bold and striking header image creates a sense of strong branding. The header image should be kept minimal, easy to read on all devices, whether it is a widescreen computer screen or a smaller smartphone display. My personal favourite tool to do that is Canva. It has such a wide range of templates, stylish fonts, free to use stock images and you can even upload & use your own. With Canva, you can make graphics for your blog posts & YouTube, Instagram. Here’s my header image for example:
- Widgets should be used and placed wisely. Too many of them can be distracting and too few of them can be an underutilised potential to draw eyeballs. At the top-most position on the panel, there should always be the search and translate widgets because viewers are your gem and you don’t want them to not be able to read your content just because they speak another language or they have no option to search what they came looking for on your blog. Links to your social media profiles should be there as well. A picture of you with a brief introduction makes the blog look alive, otherwise, it’s like a robot is operating the blog. Your picture will add a personal touch. Here is a quick list of widgets you should have:
- Subscribe via email
- Social media profile links
- Your picture and a small intro
- Always use high definition imagery to be included in your posts. Crisp and high-quality pictures are really important to make the blog look professional and well handled. There are many websites which provide free to use Stock images. I wrote a Blog post about where to find the best free stock images, read it here: Get free Stock images for your Blog from these 5 sites!
- Categorize your posts efficiently. Create categories for different kind of posts and display it on the top menu where it is the most accessible to readers. Your job is to make it as easy as possible for the people to see what they really want. Or else it will increase your blog’s bounce rate as nobody can find what they are looking for. For example, some of my categories that you can see on the top menu are Travel, Photography and Tech.